Krista

Krista

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Happy Halloween!

I want to wish my followers a Happy Halloween. This day reminds me of the special event that the Golden Harvest Food Bank markets. "It's Spooky to go Hungry". This is when the community donates food by putting it in barrels that are left in the various neighborhoods across time. This is when the Golden Harvest Food Bank stocks up for Christmas because it recieves the most donations during this time of year. Our hospital joins in by each unit collecting cans of food for the event. Without the community pitching in to assist the vulnerable population we would have both the elderly and women with children not having adequate nutrition. Thanks-Krista

4 comments:

  1. Krista,
    My hospital does a big collection of food each fall also. We have baskets all over the place and the plant services helps to take the food to the Adventist Community Center. We also participate in adopt a family where we can have a family for Christmas. My group has done that for several years and we have provided hundreds of presents along with boxes of food to these families.
    I think food banks are excellent opportunities for service learning!! Congratulations.
    Kathy Bradley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krista,

    So many people are helped through food pantries. I had a retired police officer tell me how bad they were. He felt food pantries allowed people to have more money to buy drugs. I was (and still am) shocked by that comment. When I helped at the local pantry I also saw older people, young single people, and families trying to make ends meet. They lived paycheck to paycheck and one extra expense such as fixing a car put them over the edge. I am not certain how they would manage without the pantries.

    As you mentioned the economic times have affected the pantries. At least your pantry is still able to function with some changes. I know that at our local pantries they are only open a few days a week and they do ask volunteers to sign up for times. They also have a limited space.

    It is wonderful you are bringing your child with you. Children bring such joy to service projects and are so proud to help. I think it also helps them realize how thankful they are to have what they have. You have chosen a great project!

    Nanc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krista, I would imagine at Christmas time your food banks are busy as well. I see many food drives all over town. In my town I participated in a fun walk/run on Thanksgiving day with all the proceeds going to the food bank to feed those in need at Christmas. There was 10,000 participates at $20/person. I am not aware of the overhead of the event but it was the largest turnout in its history. Called the Turkey Trot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krista you have a great blog. The background is very soothing. Your passion and commit to the project is well represented in your writing.
    Nelly

    ReplyDelete