•Has service learning made you a better person? Please explain.
I think that service learning has opened my eyes to the harsh reality of society. It has made me witness other cultures, customs, traditions, and vulnerabilities of mankind. I feel a connection when I enter the Golden Harvest Food Bank. I feel like family....Smile....I think service learning has made me an more open-minded empathetic person. I know that service learning makes me feel good as a person. I feel that I am able to give myself to a community mission. I have watched my own daughter grow as we share the experience together. You can not help but feel your heart smile in your chest as you are preparing the food that is going out that can change someone's life or even make their stomach full for that day. It has made me very thankful for what I have accomplished in life and for what I have. I am thankful for my family who are very supportive of me. There is no greater gift than to give...One person can change a life....
My second day at the Golden Harvest Food Bank was met with packing items for "It is Spooky to be Hungry". In a five hour period of time...I packed Cereal, Soup Can Items, Macaroni, Grain Products, Tomato Items, Assorted Meals, Assorted Meat Products, and Pasta items. After packing in boxes...they will be provided to communities in need.
Thanks-Krista
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I agree, Krista. Service learning has also opened my eyes in many ways - including the ways in which our communities are failing the vulnerable populations. Oftentimes it takes very little in order to fulfill a person's needs. It can be by providing food - like what you're doing at the Golden Harvest Food Bank - or by providing basic education - like what I'm doing at the Hope Clinic. Our DNP program has shown us over and over how service is a vital part of our education and underscores your thought that one person can change a life. Thanks, Juanita
ReplyDeleteKrista,
ReplyDeleteIt is a blessing to give, particularly, of our time to the cause of caring. I had volunteer at a local food bank multiple times, and each time I felt like someone who has won a million dollar. I was fill with joy. We will never know how many lives we have touched with our sacrificial time and services. As the word of God says: It is more blessed to give than to receive. The time we gave was significant and worthwhile. It is my desire to continue serving as the Lord allows.
Thank you for caring.
Cathy Oni