Krista

Krista

Saturday, February 19, 2011

First Day

I chose to volunteer my time at the Golden Harvest Food Bank which encompasses a number of initiatives that assist society against the fight against hunger.  The opportunities are endless when it comes to the different avenues you can take to volunteer through the Golden Harvest Food Bank.  The Master's Table Soup Kitchen is located in downtown Augusta, Georgia.  Food is served Sunday through Saturday to 300 plus guests for a noon meal.  At this location, food is prepared, served, and guest are greeted.  Special offerings include playing music or offering a blessing for the meal.  This experience lasts from 0800 until 1300.  Also, the Agency Distribution Area is where agency members select items to stock up their food pantries, soup kitchen, or other feeding programs.  Volunteers help keep the shelves stocked, check out agency members, and other customer service responsibilities.  Shifts are available Monday through Friday from 0800 to noon and 1300 to 1530.  The Faith Food Factory is an area of sorting, inspecting, and re-packaging is done in relation to the non-perishable donations.  Volunteers are needed year round Monday through Thursday from 0800 to 1200 and 1300-1600.  They do ask that you serve at least 2 hours when you come.  Saturdays are split into 2 shifts-0830-1200 and 1300-1600.  The Manna Truck Distributions is a mobile food pantry program that distributes 5,000 to 10,000 pounds of fresh produce in one visit to areas identified as being in need.  Volunteers are occasionally needed to help distribute this food and days and times of volunteer shifts vary.  Food Drives is another way the Golden Harvest touches the community.  Throughout the year individuals and groups collect nonperishable food for Golden Harvest Food Bank.  Two of the largest food drives, "It's Spooky to be Hungry!" and the National Association of Letter Carriers require hundreds of volunteer hours to plan and execute.  The office are in Augusta needs volunteers occasionally for general office work.  This work includes everythink from stuffing envelopes to data entry. This help is needed Monday through Friday from 0900 to 1200 and 1300 to 1600.  The Golden Harvest food bank also holds special events throughout the year to raise awareness about hunger and assist in collecting resources it needs to continue its mission of ending hunger in the 30 county service area in Eastern Georgia and Western South Carolina.  Volunteers are needed to assist in planning for these events and to volunteer during the event.  The Warehouse needs assistince in the Augusta, Liberty, and Aiken.  Volunteers are asked to help pull orders, general cleanup, and going out on a truck with a driver, etc.  These are the special services that the food bank accomplishes in our community and I am excited to be a part of initiative.  -Krista

2 comments:

  1. Krista, great work, I can't wait to read more about your experience, Margo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krista,
    The work that people do for the vulnerable is a work of love. They are there because they have that desire to help people. The food bank that I helped at automatically assumed I needed to work off some community service. I could see they were concerned about my intent to serve with them. After I introduced myself and why I was there they saw my intent was genuine. I plan to return there next week to help again.
    In the US I expect food to be kept free from varmints and insects but it all depends on the places bulk food is kept. These pests find their way one way or another.
    Margaret Orn

    ReplyDelete