Sunday, February 27, 2011
Faith Food Warehouse
The reason I love performing service learning at the Faith Food Warehouse is because I get to interact with so many different people who want to give back to the community. I also got to see Mrs Katheryn who is the manager, a familiar face also helps ease the transition into a new space. The wareouse was positive because one of the groups that was giving back to the community came from Laney High School special education class that had profound learning deficits. I was there guidance person who helped them sort the cans and products. The youngsters can normally only handle one sentence tasks before they feel overloaded. They got so much joy out of emptying the boxes and handing them to me as I checked the expiration dates until they found a mouse. That stopped business as usual. Little did they know, that I had volunteered the Night before sorting those same crates and had met those furry creatures also. This proved to be a night of laughter shared with my daughter and the manager of the organization. Mice have to eat, too! My daughter and I normally go to the Faith Food Warehouse together which is time to bound and spend time giving back to the community. I think it instills in her that giving back to the less fortunate is something to be proud about. It gives us time to build relationships in the community as a solid family base. Shayla enjoys going so much, that she even invited her friend to do this past time with her as we went to the Soup Kitchen which was my first time going. Normally at the soup kitchen, groups of individuals (churches/organizations) donate about 4-5 hours a day preparing a meal for the homeless. Then after the meal is prepared, they serve to the homeless which is one of the only meals that they will eat today. You would never know, but some of them leave to only come back in line for a second meal. I marvel as I watch my daughter and her friend juggle the drink station and cut up desserts for the homeless. It makes a mom proud to see the gentleness character of her daughter assist the homeless. These experiences raises the spirit of character.-Krista
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Krista,
ReplyDeleteI am so happy to put a face with the name I have come to look forward to hearing from! Your service learning choice is excellent and I love the fact that you are sharing this experience with your daughter! What a wonderful learning experience for her and you as her mother, being able to see her grow.
I look forward to following your blog!
Rickie
Hi Krista. I loved reading your blog. What a special person you are and what a special daughter you have. I went to New Orleans following the hurricane two years in a row and volunteered in the relief efforts. I shared those experiences with my two daughters. It was so special, I will never forget that experience. I will look forward to reading your blogs. JoAnn
ReplyDeleteWow, your experience brought tears to my eyes. I can imagine just how proud you are to see your daughter and her friend paying it forward. You should be so proud as you set such an amazingexample. Your service learning project sounds so inspiring and it humbles me. I will look forward to following your blog!
ReplyDeleteAngie Houck