After working all night, I decided that I was going to perform some service learning at the soup kitchen that next morning. I was greeted by familiar faces who was asking me my opinion as we were preparing the food for the day. That struck me as being a valued member of the team. I usually get asked the same question..."am I with a group". My answer is the same. I have come alone donating my time to give back. I think it astonishes folks that I am not there with a certain agenda (group service work by a church, with an organization, or on a work-type of program for food stamps or government assistance). That I am coming to spread the energy of service for the less fortunate. Later that morning, a church group came and we all pitched in for the menu of the day (pork-n-beans/hot dogs w/chili/fresh cut up fruit/dessert). These were all members with varying ages and we all chipped in with laughter as we performed the tasks for the day. I got so caught up in the energy of the group, we were all enjoying ourselves and I was taken back by the fellowship of the group. It also started me thinking, this might be a church that I would want to investigate further.
That day, I got to stuff hot dog buns, cut up a variety of fruit, and empty cans of beans into huge cooking pots. I also got to serve hot dogs on the line while I assisted a mentally challenged adult. Her name is Tricia and she normally serves bread. The church leader felt that she would slow the line down because her disability would impede the swiftness of food delivery. Even though I was taken back by the ignorance of others....I assured her that I would assist Tricia, and the food would be served accordingly. As we served, Tricia kept looking back at me with a huge smile, asking me "am I doing good". I would say...you are doing fantastic!!! This warmed my heart. She came with her own disability that has not stood in her way to help the less fortunate. And I was upset that some people are very narrow-minded in there opinion of the handicapped. As nurses, I think we gravitate to others that need that little help or extra assistance. I felt like the big sister taking up for my family member. I was going to give that gentle assistance so Tricia felt valued and that she was contributing. I was going to make sure that the team met the objective of feeding the hungry. This was the first day, I felt great pride in myself (giving back, being a leader, and being a role-model for others). As I was serving, I felt calmness and kindness.
•As an educated, privileged citizen in our society, what is your role in creating a society rooted in equality and justice? Do you feel you have a responsibility and why or why not? I think that we all need to be role-models for others. If we treat each person we encounter with respect and dignity, this will make others feel that they "matter". I think if you look at others in the same light...you do not see socioeconomic status, ethnicity, stereotypes, or color. If you start to notice differences.....this breeds discrimination, inequality, and hatred. My responsibility is to be thankful for my many blessings, giving back my time to society in assisting the less fortunate, educating others to perform service, role-modeling stewardship, and teaching my children the gift of time in volunteering. It only takes one person to make a change for the better. One person could make a difference in someone's life. This one person could be a leader for the masses one day. A person could become inspired to break free from the hold of poverty and unemployment, and this person could finally succeed. In life we all need a little help at some point (whether it is for food, shelter, advice, financial, or direction). When you take the time to care....you have the ability to change someone's life. You have the ability to have a huge impact on the path that a person chooses which could effect someone's life forever.
•What have you learned about yourself and what are your future plans?
I have learned that I am a leader. I do not take anything for granted. I have learned that you only succeed through hard work. I have learned that I am a very giving kind person and that I love service learning. My future plans include: becoming an educator, continue volunteering at the Golden Harvest Food bank, and being involved with organizations with the primary mission of giving back. I will always be supportive of the efforts of the Golden Harvest Food Bank. Thanks-Krista
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Krista,
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your patience and kindness to Tricia. What a great experience for you both! I also get discouraged when people become impatient with those who struggle and I also tend to migrate to help. How sad that people miss out on the relationships that are formed. Although many may think I do it to be kind to the other person, I think I do it to be kind to myself....it certainly helps fill my love bucket to see the smiles and pride! Good for you!
Rickie
Krista,
ReplyDeleteI can see how a good-hearted person you are for being able to appreciate things in life that a lot of people fail to see. In this fast-paced life we live in, it's so easy to judge others from the surface and neglect to see the person from within. If we immerse ourselves with people and work that breeds charity and service, we become more charitable. We become what we expose ourselves to: what we read, watch, see, and even think of. I admire your attitude of giving back what has been given to you. I, too have the same outlook in life. Everything I do, I do to give back what God has given me. I wish you the best in all your plans and thanks for your love for service.
Mimi
Krista- You served in many capacities within this project. We can get so caught up in the daily bustle. I commend your for pushing through after a nigt of work and leading by example. Great Job ~ Heaven
ReplyDelete